A version of this article originally appeared in Vol.53, No.1 (2006) of Pioneer Magazine.
In 1859, a group of families from Provo, Utah, moved to Wasatch County and founded Heber City. President Heber C. Kimball was honored with the name of the small community. The Wasatch Stake Tabernacle was built in Heber City between 1887 and 1889, using local sandstone in a style similar to those seen in Manti and Moroni, Utah.
A 1969 booklet Utah Catalogue Histone American Building Survey reads:
“Coursed red sandstone, rectangular with projecting bell tower at front, 50′ x 95′ 6”, gabled roof Windows alternate with buttresses at sides and ends, square tower is topped by a louvered belfry with convex hipped root with stamped metal covering”
Henry Clegg Jr., a stonemason and bishop in Heber, erected the tabernacle. From 1906 through 1907, Richard C. Watkins developed an amusement hall on neighboring property. In 1915, a simple meetinghouse for ward use was built on nearby property, to which Clifford Evans, a Salt Lake architect, added a large addition of a chapel and amusement hall in 1952.
The unused tabernacle was attempted to be demolished, but it was greeted with such opposition that the building was sold to the objectors.2
Heber City purchased the structure from the Church in 1965 and transformed it into an office building.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in