This article originally appeared in Vol.53, No.1 (2006) of Pioneer Magazine.

Another of the initial nineteen wards created in the Salt Lake Valley was the Tenth Ward. On what was formerly known as Tenth Ward Square, three distinct structures are located. The Tenth Ward meetinghouse, which was built in 1873, was the oldest building. It was followed by the chapel, which was completed in 1887, and the schoolhouse, which was built in 1887 but is not shown in the photo.

The chapel is a good example of gothic architecture, with two front towers constructed in 1909; the main tower was originally adorned with a tall steeple. Both the main window in the main front gable and the side windows of the chapel were decorated with some of the best stained glass. Fire destroyed the roof in 1927 and also removed the tall spire from the main enhancement tower.

The bishop, Thomas B. Child, lived a half-block south of the structure. He arrived at the scene before the fire department did. As firefighters prepared to break out the stained glass window in the front gable, Bishop Child grabbed a two-by-four and warned them that he would beat anyone who touched the windows and advised them to climb to the roof and make all the holes they wanted to ventilate the building. They had no intention of debating the most renowned and burly brick mason in the Salt Lake Valley. The windows were preserved because they cut their vent holes in the roof. Bishop Child was repeatedly overheard narrating the tale. He loved the structure and was especially proud of the stained glass windows. After the fire, the roof was repaired, but the spire was not reconstructed.

When he was a little lad, President Gordon B. Hinckley attended services in this structure. The property, which is located at 420 South 800 East, had a significant rehabilitation project that was finished in January 2000.

Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

X