Hurricane Town Square, Hurricane, Utah – sup #280
At the turn of the 20th century the Hurricane Bell was first hung from a hay derrick near the northeast corner of the town square (State and Main Streets). When the Social Hall was constructed next to the bowery in 1908, the bell was removed from the bowery location and mounted over the front door of the Social Hall. The bell remained there until a school was built in 1918 at 50 South Main Street where the bell remained until it was moved to the Red Brick Church (The old South Ward Chapel located at 300 South and 100 West).
The Hurricane Valley Sons of Utah Pioneers, Hurricane Historical Preservation Commission, and local civic and church leaders worked together with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to get the bell returned to its original home at the Town Square.
On May 21, 2021, the bell was removed from the Red Brick Church and restored. A Bell Tower was constructed, and that became its final home through citizen donations. City Recreation Arts and Parks Tax, and the Sons of Utah Pioneers (plaque and site #SUP #280).
Kudos to the Hurricane Valley Chapter for their great efforts to bring back to life a beloved symbol of the city. The bell now rings at noon each day bringing back the familiar sound of this historical object.