This article originally appeared in Vol.66, No.1 (2019) of Pioneer Magazine.
CARL CHRISTIAN ANTON CHRISTENSEN, OIL ON BOARD 24.5 IN. X 18.25 IN. (LDS 55-925) CHURCH HISTORY MUSEUM
The Rendering of Manti Temple is presented in conceptual majesty in Christensen’s 1889 painting. Ground was broken for the temple in 1877, and the temple was dedicated in 1888 by Wilford Woodruff, president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.The temple’s walls are depicted in a lighter shade than the beige sandstone material would appear when completed. The retaining wall east of the temple was built, but the elaborate granite staircase on the west and the additional retaining walls were never constructed. When the painting was rediscovered, it was found that the staircase and lower walls had been unprofessional ly painted over with green paint to make the grounds resemble the grassy hill on which the temple sits. The painting was restored to its original state and now hangs in the lobby of the Manti Temple. The oldest remaining mural in a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is C. C. A. Christensen’s Manti Temple Creation Room.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in