Built just ﬁve years after St. George was settled, the Gardeners’ Club Hall is considered to be the oldest public building standing in the city. This small, unassuming adobe building predates the courthouse, the tabernacle, and the temple by several years. Located across the street north and a half block west of [the marker], the one-room structure was built in 1867 as the meeting place for the Gardeners’ Club, an organization formed to promote the growing of fruit trees, shrubs and ﬂowers. The Gardeners’ Club was organized in 1865; Joseph E. Johnson, the club’s ﬁrst president, was a powerful force in the development of horticulture and ﬂoraculture in Dixie.
In his newspaper, The Pomologist, he passed on to the public his extensive knowledge of horticulture. He also demonstrated that knowledge on his own St. George property, which included most of the block on which the Gardeners’ Club Hall and the Brigham Young Home stand. There he created a veritable “Eden” in the desert, cultivating trees, vines, and ﬂowers and operating his nursery business. Through the Gardeners’ Club, Joseph Johnson, along with other horticulture experts such as Walter E. Dodge and Luther Hemenway, spearheaded a movement that went forward until the Dixie area abounded in lovely orchards, vineyards, and gardens. In addition to being a meetinghouse and social gathering place, the Gardeners’ Club Hall was the site of early horticulture exhibits, displaying the many varieties of fruits, vegetables, and other plants that could be grown in Dixie.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in