Colorful and Picturesque Places In Utah and the Mountain West
This article originally appeared in the Nov-Dec 1970 issue of Pioneer Magazine
By T. M. Woolley
Lund is a town in Iron County and is the junction station on the Union Pacific Railroad for the Cedar City Branch line. Lund was named when the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad was extended from Milford to California, for Robert C. Lund of St. George; a businessman, director of the railroad and a friend of the builder of the new road, Senator W. A. Clark of Montana.
Lynndyl, a town in Millard County, is the railroad junction of the original road from Salt Lake via Provo, with the road built after the turn of the century via Tooele. When the latter road was being built, a lady telegrapher at the end of construction was asked from Salt Lake, “Where are you?”
Being at an unnamed point, she was at a loss for an answer until she noticed the imprint on her shoe which she had slipped off because of tired feet — “Lynn, Mass.” and she answered, “I am at Lynn.” She thereby named the junction station. When designated for a post office, there was a post hamlet on the Raft River in Northwestern Utah named Lynn; so the euphonious suffix, “dye” was attached, making the post office name of Lynndyl.
Park City in Summit County, elevation 6790 feet, is on the east shoulder of the Wasatch Mountains in the Weber River drainage system. In 1872 a bonanza silver strike was made here which developed into the Ontario Mine. Around this point, Park City was built. Its mines phased out. Park City is now a booming ski and resort center.
George C. Snyder gave this new mining camp its name, drawing on the name of Parley’s Park to the north. Park City became famous in the last quarter of the 19th century for its production of silver, lead and zinc ores. Much of the wealth of Salt Lake City had its source in those mines.
Malad River in Box Elder County runs south from Southern Idaho into Utah and has a confluence with the Bear River, about 10 miles north of Great Salt Lake. The word “Malad” derives from the French adjective, malade, meaning “sick.”
This name was given the malad river by trappers of the Hudson Bay Company in the 1820’s, The trappers had eaten the flesh of the beavers living on the streams that had lived on poison roots, and thus became ill.
LaVerkin in Washington County is an attractive fruit-growing village on the rich bottom lands above the confluence of LaVerkin Creek and the Virgin River.
It is noted for the lovely blossoms of the almond orchards in the springtime and the choice almonds in autumn. Nearby are the LaVerkin Hot Springs, visited frequently and hopefully by the lame and arthritic. LaVerkin was settled in 1897 by the Thomas Judd family of St. George. The village name is an extension of the creek.Recommended1 recommendationPublished in