BARLOW, James and Ann Crompton

Ann Crompton Barlow was born on August 27, 1805 in Prestwich, Lancastershire, England, daughter of Thomas Crompton and Martha Mottershead. She was their ninth child and the twin of Martha Crompton. All of her brothers ands sisters were born and christened in Prestwitch, Lancastershire, England. The following are her brothers and sisters:

  • John Crompton, born January 8, 1792, married Ann Hannah Burgess Deconshire, London, England.
  • James Crompton, born March 17, 1793. Died about 1858.
  • Charlotte Crompton, born December 14, 1794, married James Barlow about 1814.
  • Joseph Crompton, born October 16, 1796, married Martha Horsfield about 1815 in Oldham, Lancastershire, England.
  • George Crompton, born October 16, 1798
  • Elizabeth or Betty Crompton, born December 21, 1800, married William Orland Haddock in Prestwitch, England. Died 15 January 1862 in Manti, Utah.
  • Mary Crompton, born March 20, 1803. Died about 1855.
  • Martha (Ann’s twin) Crompton, born August 27, 1805, married Mr. Hessfield about 1825 in Lancastershire, England
  • Nancy Barlow, born about 1887, married Geo Worthington about 1830, died about 1854.
  • Thomas Crompton Jr., born July 10,1810, married Alice about 1830.

James Barlow and Ann Crompton were married on Feb 13, 1831 in the ecclesiastical section of St. Mary. It is also part of Prestwich where Ann was born. Prestwich is a small town, a township, and a sub district in Manchester district, and this parish is also partly in Oldham and Bury districts, Lancashire, England. Prestwich, the town, stands 1 1/3 mile east by northeast of the river Irwell. 1 1/2 East by North of Clifton Junction railroad station, and 4 miles north by northwest of Manchester. It contains numerous good residences, a post office under Manchester, several chapels and churches, handsome monuments, a lunatic asylum, and a workhouse.

The Parish Church of Prestwich, St Mary, in Prestwich, Greater Manchester, England. James Barlow was christened-baptized in this church on 12 December 1802

James Barlow: Little is known about Ann’s husband, James Barlow. The following notes are all that is available after much research. He was born in Whitefield, Prestwich, Lancashire, England, on June 13, 1802, the son of John (b, 13 Jun. Radcliffe, Lancashire, England) and Jane Barlow (b. abt 1778 – Whitefield, Lancashire, d. 2 Jul 1792? – Hampstead, Norris, England). Whitefield is a chapelry also known as “Stand”, with a village, in Pilkingston township, Prestwich parish, diocese of Manchester, Lancashire. It is located 1 ½ miles southeast of Radcliffe railroad station and 5 ½ miles north by northwest of Manchester. Stand was constituted in 1829. In 1861, the population was 8,958 with 1,824 houses. There are many good residences. Cotton manufacture, and employments akin to it, are largely carried on. James was christened in Prestwich, Lancastershire, England.

James Barlow’s Patriarchal Blessing

Manchester (England) November 9, 1841

James Barlow, Born in Whitefield, (England), November 3 A.D. 1802. Dear Sister (brother) I lay my hands (upon) ye—pronounce ye (the) Blessings of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob. Thou hast obeyed the gospel & entered into the new covenant by Baptism, & thou wilt have to fight the Battles of the Lord, he will equip thee for the war, & teach thy hands to war, and thy Tongue to speak the Truth, thou shalt have Access into the treasury of Righteousness & Draw from thence great promises, & be successful in preaching the everlasting gospel, thou shalt understand the mystery of the kingdom, he will give thee wisdom & Intelligence & make thee a pillar in his house to go out no more and give thee visions, Revelations prophecy, & thou shalt go to Zion at the fruit of thy own hand & rejoice having Corn, Swine & Flock’s herds ye (shall) worship in the Temple before the Lord, with prophets & apostles, and see the priesthood Restored from on high, & see the glorious coming of Messiah and rise to meet him in the air – and with the faithful seed of Abraham Reign 1,000 years. I Seal these Blessings (upon) yee in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen and Amen.

He received this blessing at age 39. He lived eight more years. James sons, Oswald, John & Joseph Smith Barlow, testified on several occasions that his father, James was preaching one day at the Manchester Branch. When he finished his sermon, he sat down. Immediately the Presiding Elder arose and said, “Brother Barlow, I, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, call you on a mission to the Spirit World.” The shock caused his wife, Ann, to faint, but James went home and in a very few days became ill. He was dead within three weeks on 22 July 1849 at age 47. He died in England before his wife Ann Crompton Barlow, age 43, and their three children, John, Jane and Joseph Smith immigrated to America.)

(Reference: Recipient’s birth date, 3 Nov 1802, approximate date of blessing, 9 Nov 1841. LDS Church Archives, volume 208, page 56)

Kathryn Kimber Anderson ordered the blessing from the church archives. She typed it as the Patriarch Scribe spelled and punctuated the blessing. She added further information in brackets for more clarification, or bolded for unsure words.

In October 1838, the city of Prestwich, England was first opened to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to gospel teachings by a missionary named William Clayton, who wrote the LDS hymn `Come Come Ye Saints.” This was one year after Heber C. Kimball was sent as a missionary to open up Europe in 1837. James was among the first to be converted in Prestwich and was baptized by Elder Green on November 17, 1839 and was confirmed by William Clayton. James and Ann are the parents of eight children with four sons and four daughters. Joseph Smith Barlow is the youngest in the family.

Their children were as follows”

  1. Oswald Barlow, born 20 Jun 1829 in Prestwich, Lanc, England. Married Catherine Nightingale and Mary Jane Oliver. Died 23 April 1876 in ST. George, Utah.
  2. Richard Barlow, born 18 December, 1831 in Prestwich, Lanc, England. Married Eliz Pilling. Died 9 February, 1895 in England.
  3. Nancy Barlow, born 29 November, 1833, in Whitefield, Prestwitch, England. Married Samuel Chapman about 1855. Died 1896 in England.
  4. Martha Barlow, born 30 September, 1835 in Little Heaton, Lanc, England.. Died 1898.
  5. John Barlow, born 3 August, 1838 in Little Heaton, Lanc, England. Married Lunes Barlow. Died 4 jaunuary, 1915 in Plesant Grove, Utah.
  6. Jane Barlow, born 23 June 1841 in Salford, Lanc, England. Married John Long 15 March 1857 in Wyoming. Died 27 April, 1866 in Plesant Grove, Utah.
  7. Alice Barlow, born 27 January, 1844 in Salford, Lanc, England. Died 25 Ocotber, 1847 in England.
  8. Joseph Smith Barlow, born 11 May 1848 in Manchestar, England. Married Amanda Morgan, 30 November, 1867. Died 28 August, 1876 in Fairfield, Utah.

All of James and Ann Barlow’s children were baptized into the LDS Church. They were recorded members of the Manchester, English Branch. Their oldest son, Oswald, was baptized in England four days before his Mother, Ann at age 21 on Feb 10, 1840. It would have been a cold time of the year. Richard, age 12 and Nancy, age 10, were baptized three years later on July 2, 1843, Martha, at age 10, was baptized on 4 Oct 1846. John, age 10 was baptized during the cold part of the year on Jan 29, 1848. Jane, at age 9, was baptized on July 14, 1850 in England, just one year after her father’s death. Alice Barlow died at age three as an innocent child, thus has no need for baptism. The youngest, Joseph Smith Barlow, at age 9, is listed as 1857. he would have turned eight years old in Fairfield, UT during his recovery from crossing the plains with the . He may have been baptized sometime after his recovery.

England is beautiful with a lush green countryside from unexpected rains. The landscape consists of rolling hills, trees, and rock wall fences.

Manchester Town Hall, courtesy of

Manchester, England

In the 19th century the population of Manchester soared from 70,000 in 1801 to 108,000 in 1821. It then rose to 142,000 in 1831. (Part of the rise in population was due to immigrants from Ireland where the failed potato crops had failed. This had caused 750,000 to starve). In 1816 a company began to supply piped water, through iron pipes, to those who could afford to connect. In the 1820’s Manchester gained gas street lights. However, like all 19tb century towns Manchester had dreadful slums. Some streets were unpaved. In some of the streets rubbish, such as rotting vegetables, were piled in heaps. It was only removed at intervals to be sold as fertilizer. People used cesspits which were cleaned infrequently. The worst slums were the cellar dwelling. Whole families lived in one room cellars. Sometimes they had no furniture and slept on straw. They were damp and unventilated. Because of these horrid conditions disease was rife. In 1832, a cholera epidemic killed 674, However, there were some improvements in Manchester in the early 19th century. The Manchester Chamber of Commerce was created in 1820. The Manchester Guardian began publication in 1821. In 1828 horse drawn buses began to run, and in 1830 a railway to Liver pool was opened. A corn exchange where grain could be ought and sold was built in 1837. In 1838 Manchester was made a borough, a town with a corporation, for the first time. In 1846 the first public parks were created, Peel Park, Queens Park and Phillips park.

Ann Crompton Barlow was an English Mormon Emigrant, who felt the desire to bring her three youngest children, John (17), Jane (15) & Joseph Smith (7), to the Utah Territory to gather in “Zion” with the Saints. She was a widow, with meager means, thus was chosen to use the Perpetual Emigration Fund by the leaders of the Manchester Branch. Ann would have said a tearful good bye to family and friends in her town, located near Manchester, England. This would be the last time she would be in her native England Country. She would have walked, been driven by a horse-drawn cart or wagon, or boarded a train which traveled west to Liverpool, which was at that time, the greatest shipping center in the world. She crossed the ocean in 1856 on the sailing vessel “Horizon” with her sister, Elizabeth Crompton Haddock and her daughter Mary, age 21 & 856 other saints. Edward Martin was their church leader. They went by railroad car to Iowa City, Iowa and there became members of the Martin Handcart Company to cross the plains. Ann’s oldest son, John, stayed at Fort Laramie, Wyoming. Ann and her two youngest children became trapped in the October snow storms now known as Martin’s Cove, Wyoming. After rescue wagons arrived, and only a week from the Salt Lake Valley, Ann left her critically ill daughter, Jane, near Fort Bridger at Fort Supply, Wyoming. Ann & Joseph Smith arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on Nov 30, 1856. After having arrived in the valley, Ann refused to let the doctor amputate the legs of her youngest son, Joseph Smith Barlow. After marrying and having children, both daughter and son, Joseph Smith, died in their twenties. Ann lived in Fairfield, Utah County, Utah for at least 20 years with her single son, John Barlow. When John married Lunes Barlow, his cousin, her dad was Oswald, like Aunt Alene’s boy married Pam Simkins, Ann moved with them to Richfield, Sevier County, Utah in about 1878. Her daughter in law, Amanda recalls, “She [Ann] lived to be eighty-three years old, died in Richfield in 18 Oct 1887. at the home of her son, John, after I came to Grouse Creek. Ann eventually had 39 grand-children, which were born in America; Oswald- 18, Richard -6, John -9, Jane -2, and Joseph Smith -4. She must have hundreds of descendants, which spin out into this world like a vast, vast nation. She was a faithful pioneer, with grit, stamina, and resourcefulness to have survived, and help her children survive, the 1856 Edward Martin Company ship voyage, train ride, crossing the plains with a handcart and experience the early winter storm’s ordeal in Wyoming at Martin’s Cove.

An immigrant traveling with Ann Barlow writes in his Autobiography:

At this pier (Boston harbor), nothing but cattle cars could be obtained and into these we were loaded, bag and baggage. In those we rode to Albany, state of New York (and crossed the Hudson River here). Here we laid over two days and two nights. and were permitted to change to third class accommodations. The seats were two inch plank with no back. In this miserable way we were conveyed to Cleveland, Ohio, at a very slow pace. The country along the track was studded with find orchards, bearing fine apples and all kinds of fruit. The fruit was so tempting that at that rate of travel, the young men would jump from the train, fill their pockets, and over take the slow moving institution.. However slow, it brought us into Cleveland on the morning of the greatest day in America. Not realizing the meaning of all this parading and firing of firecrackers, and artillery, an elder of the church explained it all to our satisfaction. Since that day, however, the 4th of July is as precious to a Latter-day Saint as to any American who lives under the flag flying stars and stripes, the red, white, and blue.

While waiting in that city for change of cars a great rainstorm continued two days. We and our luggage were exposed to the weather, the company having no sheds to protect us. A large barn was secured and all were transferred to it until the storm abated… Like Missouri and other places the people of the town despised the Mormons and after the Saints had retired for the night, a mob of bullies including some females gathered around the barn and kept up for hours such a howling and bombarding with stones and bats it equaled any Indian powwow I have ever listened to on the frontiers. Finally the presidency of the company found a person who it seemed had some authority, who persuaded the mob to desist and go to their homes. However, if left the people in a state of terrible excitement. Not a person closed an eye that night in sleep.

In the early hours of the morning our train arrived and in short order we, with all our effects, were on our way to Des Moines, Iowa where we had once again to be subjected to mobocratic insults. But we were better protected, as the city had some good sensible men to govern their affairs….we had to layover two days until our train was ready to start for Iowa City… we boarded the train and started from Iowa City from which place we would take the road with our handcarts which were being prepared for us at this place. On our arrival, there was great rejoicing as this was to be the place where a great change in our way of travel would commence. But the work on our carts had been neglected (built out of green wood, which fell apart in Wyoming) and we were detained four weeks on this account, so these four weeks were lost to us when we ought to have been making our best time on the road. This neglect proved a sad and fatal mistake, as we had to make up this lost time in the snow with short provisions and short of bedding as well. So you may plainly see where the mistake proved so fatal and so many poor souls passing away and filling an untimely grave.

The Barlows crossed the Hudson River at Albany, passed through Buffalo, New York on the 4th of July, Cleveland and Toledo, Ohio, Chicago, Ill. They crossed the Mississippi River by steamship at Rock Island because the railway bridge was burned down. They continued by train through Davenport, Iowa to finally reach the end of the rail line on 8 July at Iowa City, Iowa, which was the jumping off place to cross the plains that year. A 1856 martin handcart pioneer, by the name of Heber Robert McBride, writes in his autobiography:

I was then 13 years old… When we got there (Iowa City) and our baggage was unloaded, it was getting late in the day, and our camping ground was 3 miles from the city, as there was no place at the depot large enough to accommodate so many people. So a great many of the people started for camp on foot just about dark and I was one of them (about 500 of them, with their bedding.) But we had not gone very far when it began to rain (thunder and lightning and the rain poured. The roads became very muddy and slippery). And was so dark that you could not see anything and to make things worse I got lost from the rest of the company, but made out to keep the road by the help of the lighting… After ascending the hill I could see a fire at the camp. They were keeping a big fire burning for to let the people know where the camp was… When I saw the fire, I started in a straight line for it and that is where I missed it. Not knowing anything about the country, I thought that would be the best way. The rain had quit after it wet me through, there not being a dry thread, After wading through numerous pools of water from ankle deep to knee deep and wallowing through grass as high as my head, I managed to reach camp pretty near give out. But after all my bad luck I was there before quite a number of the company. Father and Mother and the children arrived after me; 2 of the children, being small, had to be carried most all the way… This was my first night in a tent.

When I awoke in the morning, the sun was shining.. .Then I saw the beautiful country, grass and farms as far as the eye could see, on one side and on the other side of camp was a strip of timber, not very wide, but don’t know how long it was. There was a stream of water running through it. I soon got acquainted with the country and swimming was the order of the day with all the small boys in camp (possibly Joseph Smith Barlow, too). We had to stay 6 weeks in the camp before all things were ready to start across the plains and it was a great sight to see about 6 or 8 hundred people starting for Utah with handcarts. Nothing of interest, only hard work…

The Martin handcart Company left Iowa City on 28 July 1856. This was two weeks after the Willie Handcart Company had left, due to delays in building carts. The Martin Company Saints pulled lightly loaded hand-carts walking across Iowa to Florence, Nebraska, where they arrived on 22 August 1856. Here they loaded their hand-carts with heavier provisions and left on August 25, 1856″ One leader, Levi Savage, said they should not go to Utah that year because of the early winter storms in the Rocky Mountains. Not knowing the terrain and climate of the west, and being eager to reach their destination, with some of their leaders encouragement, and not having adequate housing there, the people voted to go on to Utah. They experienced the normal weather for that time of year, while traveling through Iowa and Nebraska.

Details of the crossing and rescue of the handcart companies are told in better detail in the book titled,” We Paid The Price”, by Andrew D. Olsen and “Handcarts To Zion”, by Leroy R. Hafen and Ann W. Hafen. Please refer to these books as they tell, in better detail, the trials and sacrifices these people made.

One wonders what the relationship was with these women and children. Ann Barlow (58) with her three children, Her sister Elizabeth Haydock (55) with her daughter and Oswald’s mother-in-law Jane Nightingale (57) with her three children. Did they travel together? The companies were organized with about five persons to a handcart and approximately twenty individuals to a tent. No known record was made by them as to the hardships they endured. One is left to wonder about what had transpired on the trail with them. There could be documents in the possession of direct descendants of them, that tell their story.

Ann’s eldest son, Oswald, was already in Salt Lake City having arrived there in 1852. He had left his wife in England and sent for her later. She arrived in Salt Lake City in 1853.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.