This article originally appeared in Vol.65, No.2 (2018) of Pioneer Magazine.
During the late 1800s, this property was used as an LDS tithing lot for hay, grain, and produce. At that time, all of Davis County was one LDS stake. The president of the Davis Stake was Joseph Hyrum Grant, who resided in Woods Cross, making him almost inaccessible to many Church members. LDS leadership advised the stake to provide a stake president’s office near the center of the stake’s population in Farmington, and here it was built in 1907. The building’s construction was supervised by James H. Robinson, bishop of the Farmington Ward.
When the stake was divided in 1915, the North Davis Stake set up its office in Kaysville and the South Davis Stake was headquartered in Bountiful. The Farmington building was purchased by Farmington City, and in the fall of 1917 it moved its offices from the top floor of the county courthouse to this building. Subsequently, part of the building was used as a library, and the city’s volunteer fire department used the east bay for storage of firefighting equipment.
In August of 1970, Farmington City moved its offices into a new building to the north. The Farmington Lions Club leased the old City Hall until 2001, when the city regained ownership and renovated it as a museum. The Farmington City Historical Museum opened on July 9, 2004.