Brigham City Monuments

Brigham City Monuments

Brigham City, a Co-op Town

Brigham City Monuments

  • Location: Box Elder, Utah
  • County: Box Elder
  • Monument Number: 74
  • Sponsor: Box Elder Chapter
  • Location: Brigham Young Park, West Forest Street
  • Monument inscription reads:

Brigham City was the first important Mormon Pioneer Community to organize itself for co-operative activity under a system later incorporated in the United Order of 1874. Approximately 30 or 40 industry branches were established with the aim of providing employment for everyone in producing & manufacturing what they consumed & used. The co-op began as a joint stock enterprise with Elder Lorenzo Snow & three others subscribing 3,000 from 1864 to 1880. The following co-op branches were established: Hog Farm, Furniture Dep., Butcher Dep., Textile Ind., Millinery Shop, Boot and Shoe Fac., Saddle & Harness Shop, Two Saw Mills, Wagon & Carriage, Repair Shop, Tailor & Fancy, Dry Farm, Mulberry Trees, Silk Worms, Cotton Farm, Tin Shop, Pottery Shop, Broom Fac., Cooperage, Brush Fac., Greenhouse & Nursery, Wood Turning, Blacksmith, Planing Mill, Hats & Caps, Rope Fac. The co-op operated in Brigham City for more than 15 years, and had a profound influence on the history of Utah and surrounding areas occupied by the Mormons. It was discontinued in 1880.


Brigham City

  • Location: Box Elder, Utah
  • County: Box Elder
  • Sponsor/Year: Box Elder Chapter/1890
  • Location: Corner of Main & Forest (current site of Wells Fargo Bank)

Built in 1890, the mercantile store was the last building constructed from the Brigham City Co-op. Three years after the store opened, a fire destroyed the business, just a year before the cooperative organization closed. First Security Bank bought the building on July 29, 1942.

Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

X